Sunday 18 November 2012

Change can only happen from within You



This is part of my journey, which I would like to share with you.

It began with an egg; well it didn't really, as there is no beginning or end simply the sum total of many experiences accompanied with a very questioning mind.

So about twenty five years ago (precisely half my life) through a self enquiry and questioning mind resulting from seeking responsibility for my health and well being I learnt about the state of caged hens.
There after I chose to never buy an egg from a caged hen. At this stage free ranging hens eggs were rather expensive, almost twice the price of caged hens eggs. It was very much a conscious choice, it was expensive and one that led us to having a number of henny penny’s in our suburban back yard.

Several months ago I was delighted to notice that free ranging hens eggs are now comparable to caged hen’s eggs, in some cases even cheaper. Wow I though this is amazing… however as I stood and watched people purchasing eggs in my local Coles I couldn't understand why were people still buying eggs from caged hens, if you haven’t already just type into google ‘ caged hens’ you’ll get an idea of my disbelief.

Now I can understand people not being able to afford free range eggs twenty-five years ago, but today? Are we so detached, separated from what happens in the world around us, that we do not even question what we are putting into our bodies? Where has this food come from that is sustaining us and how has it been treated? What impact does it have on this earth? What is the eco footprint of the food we eat? Change begins from each of us individually.

If you are looking for direction in Australia you may like to check out this link: Sustainable Table is a not-for profit organisation that empowers people to use their shopping dollar for a food system that is fair, humane, healthy and good for the environment.

Namaste

No comments:

Post a Comment